The British TV Streaming Guide: US Edition, Winter 2024 is now available. Get yours HERE.
In some cases, we earn commissions from affiliate links in our posts.
Last Updated on March 25, 2020 by Stefanie Hutson
Given the current situation, BBC and ITV have stopped filming a number of popular daily British soaps. We applaud their decision and efforts to keep everyone safe, but we also wanted to let our readers know about the changes and what it means for them.
Schedule Changes for British Soap Operas on BritBox
Fortunately, new episodes will still be coming to BritBox for now – but the schedule will be changing slightly.
Starting the week of March 23rd, new episodes will be added on Mondays and Tuesdays.
Three new episodes of Coronation Street will be added each week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Emmerdale will have three new episodes weekly. They'll be posted on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
Casualty will continue to have one new episode weekly for now.
Holby City will also see one new episode each week for now.
What Other British Shows Can I Watch?
If these schedule changes are really messing with your normal viewing habits, you're not entirely without options.
Check Out Older Episodes
The reduction in new episodes is a great excuse to go back in time and catch up on the history of your favourite soap (assuming you haven't been watching throughout all of the hundreds or thousands of episodes of your favourite).
- Some older episodes of Emmerdale are available HERE on Prime Video.
- Eastenders has a clip show DVD (57 minutes runtime) following some of the Slaters and their history in the series. Get it HERE.
- Check out “The Real Eastenders”, a DVD about life in East London. Get it HERE.
- If you have a region-free DVD player, Coronation Street has a Golden Anniversary Collection. Get it: US | UK
- Coronation Street has a “Complete 70s Collection” HERE
Try a Different Soap for a While
I know, I know. It's not the same. Still, if you've ever been curious about another British soap opera, it's a great time to check out some episodes on BritBox and see what you've been missing. While most British soaps have their US homes at BritBox, Hollyoaks is an exception. You can find that one on Hulu.
Read Up on Your Favourite British Soap Opera
A number of British soap operas have been the subject of books. Here are just a few:
- 50 Years of Coronation Street
- Coronation Street Colouring Book
- Coronation Street: The Novel
- Holby City: Behind the Screen
- EastEnders 20th Anniversary Book
- Christmas at Emmerdale (the first in a series of Emmerdale novels)
- Christmas on Coronation Street (the first in a short series of novels)
If all those fail, you could always get a life-size Danny Dyer cutout to keep you company…
Try Something Totally Different
We have plenty of lists to help you find other shows to watch in the absence of new soap opera episodes. Here are a few to get you started:
- 460+ British TV Shows On Amazon Prime
- Acorn TV vs. BritBox: A Comparison of the Top 2 British TV Streaming Services
- Where to Watch British TV in the US (with even MORE suggestions)
- 100+ Free British TV Shows on Tubi
- British TV Shows on Netflix
- 90+ British TV Shows on Hulu
Above all, stay safe! Happy Watching!