The British TV Streaming Guide: US Edition, Winter 2024 is now available. Get yours HERE.
In some cases, we earn commissions from affiliate links in our posts.
Great news for thriller fans – ITV has commissioned Code of Silence, a six-part crime series with a unique twist.
What's Code of Silence About?
Code of Silence introduces viewers to Alison Woods, a deaf catering worker played by Rose Ayling-Ellis (EastEnders, Strictly Come Dancing). Alison, struggling to balance two jobs and support her deaf mother, finds herself drawn into the world of crime fighting when DC Ashleigh Francis enlists her help.
Her talent for lip reading becomes crucial in interpreting the conversations of dangerous criminals, but as she gets involved in the police investigation, she also develops a relationship with Liam, one of the main suspects. That presents a bit of a conflict of interest…but she can't seem to make herself do what she knows she should.
Who's Involved in the Production?
The series is the brainchild of Catherine Moulton, best known for shows like Baptiste and Hijack. Both Moulton and lead actress Rose Ayling-Ellis have first-hand experience with hearing loss – Moulton being partially deaf and a hearing aid user, and Ayling-Ellis being deaf from birth.
Of the series, Moulton said:
I am beyond excited to be working with Rose, ITV and Mammoth on Code of Silence. It’s a fantastic opportunity to combine my love of a tense, twisty thrillers with my experience of lip reading and hearing loss, and all in a show for ITV. I can’t imagine a more perfect Alison than Rose and I will do my best to make sure the story keeps audiences on the edge of their seats.
The series is produced by Mammoth Screen, and it will be executive produced by Tom Leggett and Damien Timmer from Mammoth Screen, alongside Catherine Moulton.
When Will Code of Silence Premiere?
Casting services have announced that filming for Code of Silence will begin in May 2024 in London. It's still too soon for an exact premiere date, but the show will air on ITV and will be available for streaming on ITVX in the UK. International distributors and streaming options have not yet been announced.
While You Wait: Other British TV Thrillers
While you await the premiere of Code of Silence, here are some other British TV thrillers to catch. Please keep in mind that all streaming information is accurate at time of writing, but availability can change at a moment's notice.
- Witness No. 3: Jodie is a single mum who runs a hair salon, but when she looks out the window one day and witnesses a murder, her life changes. Though she does what she believes is her civic duty, her identity is soon leaked and she becomes the subject of an intense intimidation campaign. Stream it on Hulu.
- Our House: Based on Louise Candlish's best-selling psychological thriller, this miniseries follows Fi Lawson (Tuppence Middleton, Dickensian), a woman who comes home one day to find strangers moving into her family's home. At the same time, she discovers her husband, Bram (Martin Compston, Line of Duty), has gone missing. Unfortunately, it's just the beginning of the terror that will unfold. Stream it HERE
- The Fall: This psychological thriller stars Gillian Anderson as a detective on the trail of a serial killer in Belfast. Stream it HERE
- The Silence: Douglas Henshall (Shetland) stars in this thriller about a young girl who witnesses a murder – but with a brand-new cochlear implant, she's still struggling to adjust to the world of the hearing. Stream it HERE
- Happy Valley: A compelling drama focusing on a strong-willed police sergeant in a small town, dealing with personal and professional challenges, including a kidnapping plot. Stream it HERE